"When I was a child I played with childish things. Now that I am a man I still play with childish things, just bigger more expensive ones..."

Friday 11 February 2011

Angels of Vengeance

A couple of days ago I previewed a black and red armoured terminator captain that I had been in the middle of painting.  As mentioned this was my latest attempt to decide what to do with my unpainted Dark Angel army. Anyone familiar with Dark Angels, specifically their successor chapters, would quickly have recognised an Angels of Vengeance colour scheme.

The Angels of Vengeance are in essence a direct continuation of the pre-herasy Dark Angels. They have retained their black armour and, according to the fluff in the codex, are the embodiments of the Dark Angels single minded and fearlessness.

So why have I gone this way?  Its a combination of reasons, firstly the ease of painting as using the sprayed back models then adding colour details then a wash is a very effective but easy approach. Secondly I like the idea of doing something a bit 'non-standard.  I had at one point considered a Fallen force but the modernness of their armour didn't sit right with this and i'm a stickler for details of this type!  Finally seeing so many Death Company marines recently has brought home just how good a Black and Red colour set can work. The Codex states a black set of armour, but I carried the idea of the red robes from the hood that is shown in the armies badge.

The final piece of the puzzle for this force is going to be the army badge. I'm going to attempt some custom printed transfers in order to be able to make use of the proper markings. If all goes well the first fully completed Angel should be ready to be presented sometime next week.