"When I was a child I played with childish things. Now that I am a man I still play with childish things, just bigger more expensive ones..."

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Harder Than It Looks

Last night I attempted to magnetise my Storm Raven.  The bits had finally arrived and so I started the tricky task of drilling holes and setting in place the tiny magnets.

Suffice to say that this was much much harder than I imagined and after several very fiddly failures I resolved to revert to the old fashioned method of making an educated guess on the best weapon loadout and glue the parts in place.  I still think magnets are the way forward and I'm determined to make use of them,  but perhaps this was an ambitious place to start.

As for the loadout itself,  well I'll throw my bid into the discussion for the 'optimal' way to kit it out.  In my case I see it best used as a multi-role strike fighter,  delivering its cargo of troops in the early turns before spending the rest of the battle flying round the board troubleshooting the issues that have arrived. To achieve this I've started with Melta's in the nose for the obvious tank busting ability, for me only Melta's are reliable in this role. Next i have chosen to include the hurricane bolsters. For the extra troop killing potential I think they are worth the points, you've spent all these points on the model so you may as well make the most of it. Finally on the turret I'm opting for Plasma Cannons. This gives the craft heavy troop busting ability plus an additional light vehicle breaker.

If it will be successful is yet to be seen, but come April we'll get a chance to see.