"When I was a child I played with childish things. Now that I am a man I still play with childish things, just bigger more expensive ones..."

Saturday 6 August 2011

Too many... orks?

So today we went shopping. The lovely model railway shop in Stevenage has decided to stop stocking Games Workshop and so was doing a 50% discount on the retail prices. The stock had unfortunately been decimated before we got there this morning but we still managed to pick up a few bargains. I got myself a new finecast Dark Eldar Haemonculus to paint, but also lucked out and got myself a new Big Mek to add to my Orks. I've got the one with the forcefield but this is the one with boss pole and a rather large gun. It's a shame he's metal rather than resin, but for about £5 I can't complain!

Since we're having a relaxing weekend I sat down with my big cabinet of 40k junk. The drawers are full of sprues and half made models, so I figured it was time to make all the models I've been buying and stashing away.

First on the table was the bag of Deffkoptas that I've been collecting. Every now and then I find them for sale for a couple of quid so I pick one up. I had FOUR hiding away waiting to be made! Some time ago I painted a test model to check some paint schemes, but I'm not sure this will be the way that I go for the rest of them. I don't seem to be able to get a good finish on vehicles in red, so I'm leaning further towards the satiny black and I tested on my killa kans before.

I also managed to make three Burnas from the remnants of my Loota squad, by using some legs and bodies from a box of Boyz that I bought for the purpose. Along with the test model below that brings me to a total of four Burnas and a Mek. I think I need another box of Loota/Burnas to make myself some more!


I really like how this guy turned out, so I'm going to paint the others like this too. My plan is to get all my models painted to this basic tabletop standard and then start going back and adding more detail, weathering and the like.

Hopefully if we manage to get ourselves some more white spray paint tomorrow I'll have some more shots to show here soon.